Monday, September 24, 2007

Missionary?

Dear Sister

Yesterday at church I heard one of the most thought provoking and challenging/encouraging sermons in a long time.
We don't have a minister at the moment so we have had a few visiting ministers. Today was a guy who's family use to come to our church but they are now church planting in an area of Sydney where there is a large Muslim community. It's so great to hear about all that God is doing through them, but that's a story for another post :).

Anyway he was talking about how the early church had an attitude of mission. Even though they sent out 'missionaries' they were very mission minded in their own churches, communities and homes. It got me thinking. Do I act just as mission minded at home as I do on mission? Short answer; no.
I grew up in a missionary family overseas, I've been on a short term mission and I've helped out with family missions at our church. When on mission I am consciously thinking about how I can lead the conversations toward gospel things, I talk about what God has done into everything I do. I pray constantly about the people I will meet that I can share with them about God. I don't always say as much as I should, but at least I'm trying and praying and I believe God can use even a broken person like me.

But at 'home' I'm not like that. I don't even think about leading conversations I have towards the gospel, even though I pray about my non-christian friends, I don't expect things to happen. It was a huge rebuke to me.

Why don't people become Christians? Because we don't tell them how.

1 comment:

Ashleigh Baker said...

Good thoughts... it is so important that we take our responsibility seriously to tell others of our Savior, and how often we don't do it. Thanks for the challenge and encouragement!