Thursday, September 20, 2007

God Answers

Dear Sister

Something that has been bothering me for a while is a simple phrase, that I'm sure many people don't even think about when they say it.
You've probably heard it before 'I'm so thankful to God for answering my prayers' or someone may ask 'Has God answered any of your prayers lately?' The reason this bothers me is it makes us think that God only 'answers' our prayers when he gives us what we want.
The truth is, God always answers our prayers. But it might not be the answer we wanted or were expecting.

In the garden of Gethsemane Jesus prayed about what he knew was about to happen. He asked not to die. "Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will." (Mark 14:34). But we all know that wasn't in Gods plan. Does that mean God didn't hear Jesus' prayer? No. Does it mean that He didn't answer Jesus' prayer? No. God gave his answer according to his will. He said 'no' to Jesus' request because Jesus needed to die to take the punishment for our sins.

A more important question to ask is if our prayers are in accordance with God will. Ask God for what is on your heart, but also add 'May your will be done'

No comments: